Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Nights in Rondanthe



Adrienne Willis is forty-five and has been divorced for three years, abandoned by her husband for a younger woman. The trials of raising her teenage children and caring for her sick father have worn her down, but at the request of a friend and in hopes of a respite, she’s gone to the coastal village of Rodanthe in North Carolina’s outer banks to tend the local inn for the weekend.
With a major storm brewing, the time away doesn’t look promising…until a guest named Paul Flanner arrives.

At fifty-four, Paul is a successful surgeon but in the previous six months his life has unraveled into something he doesn’t recognize. Estranged from his son and recently divorced, he’s sold his practice and his home and has journeyed to this isolated coastal town in hopes of closing a painful chapter in his past, completely unaware that his life is about to change forever.

Adrienne and Paul come together as the storm gathers strength over Rodanthe, but what begins between them over the weekend will resonate throughout the rest of their lives, intertwining past and future, love and loss.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finished Nights in Rondanthe a week ago. This book is not on my challenge list, however, I went to see a movie a couple weeks ago and during the previews viewed the trailor for the movie based on this book. It comes out in October, and as I most likely will want to see it, I decided to add the book in. I always like to read the book before I view the movie. It was a quick read and a good escape from the hours spent working on my thesis. The way that Nicholas Sparks can bring you into a story is incredible. It was enjoyable and left me with a good feeling that true romance can be found at any stage in life. However, the idea that real love can develop between two total strangers in one weekend, seems far fetched. I like to think that I am a "hopeless romantic" however, I would have liked more time in the development of the characters relationship. I would give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. I think that Nicholas Sparks other books were much more appealing (The Notebook, A walk to remember, message in a bottle).

No comments: