Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Happy Cinco De Mayo!!!

Happy Cinco De Mayo!

It was a gorgeous day in Sacramento today...I spent an hour laying in my Panama hammock...drank a few Corona's with my husband, and ate wonderful Mexican food! Here was our menu!

Veggie Enchilada (not to be confused with vegetarian...I used cream of chicken in the sauce)
Pollo Asada (grilled on my husbands new love...Webber)
Spanish Rice
Refried Beans
Taco fixings
chips and salsa
guacamole

I used my mom's famous enchilada recipe but changed it up a bit and replaced the chicken with sauteed vegetables. Here is the recipe...it turned out really good!

1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1/2 red onion
80z sliced mushrooms
1 green bell pepper
olive oil
large can of enchilada sauce
small can of tomato sauce
can of cream of mushroom or chicken
about 20 corn tortillas

Instructions:

Cut up the veggies



Place onion in saute pan with a little olive oil, cook for one minute.

Add the bell pepper; saute for additional minute.

Add zucchini and yellow squash...cook for three minutes.

Place in bowl.
Add Mushrooms into the saute pan for about 3 minutes. (I cook these separately so the pan isn't crowded)

While mushrooms are sauteeing, dump enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, and cream of whatever in a large pan. Cook for a few minutes on medium and mix together.


When mushrooms are cooked place in the same bowl as other veggies.

*Now to begin the layering.

In a 9x12 pan, ladle a small amount of sauce in the bottom. Dip corn tortillas in the mixture and lay on the bottom of the pan. I have to halve some of them to fit.






Spoon 1/3 of veggies over the tortillas followed by 1 cup of cheese.





Repeat layers two more times, top with an additional layer of tortillas and cheese.



Cook on 350 for 30-45 minutes covered with tented foil.


Enjoy!






1 comment:

Meghan said...

This looks so yummy! I'm going to have to bookmark this recipe and try it very soon! Thanks for sharing.