Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Grandmother...My Heart

Kathleen Louise Meacham
April 19, 1932-August 15, 2010

"I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow." Jeremiah 31:13b
My wedding day, August 29, 2003
Grandma looked so beautiful!

My sweet Grandmother went to heaven this afternoon. She has been on hospice for the past two months, but the news was still difficult to hear. Actually, I scrubbed the kitchen floor with part anger and part sadness while Rick sat there crying with me...we talked about her life...about my memories with her...and how much she meant to both of us. Half way through our discussion, I stopped, mop in hand and said "She is dancing with the angels in heaven...she is healthy and happy." This I know for sure. She is in a better place and I will see her again.

When I think back to the times when I was young, one of my very first memories was of my grandma bathing my sister and I in a big claw foot tub. I remember her singing. I remember her smiling at us. A smile, so loving, so bright, it made me feel like I was her favorite person in the world...she made everyone feel like that...this I know for sure.

Cooking, playing, hugging, laughing, and rocking us in her chair is what she did best. I hold these times close to my heart, especially hearing her say "My grandchildren can do whatever they want" when a friend commented on my sister and I eating icecream in her living room when we were little girls.

As I grew older my grandmother continued to have a lot of spirit, and, God bless her willingly endured a few pranks. She laughed as my church group held her hand to walk her across the street for a scavenger hunt. (Our task was to help and old lady cross the street).

I visited her everyday during my highschool years. I walked up to her house, we ate lunch, and watched television together. She got me hooked on daytime soaps and french vanilla icecream. She took time to invest in all of our lives and I am thankful for that. She was interested in meeting all of our friends, and all of our friends loved her. Their door was always open!

My grandmother, of course, was even more interested in meeting our spouses. She always had a good sense of humor. I remember there was a time while Rick and I were dating and we were headed into a restaurant. Grandma and I were walking behind him and I blurted out "Boy, Rick sure has a nice butt!" And she replied "Oh yes, he sure does" and gave me a wink.

The greatest part of my grandmother is that she loved with all of her heart. She loved big...she loved full...so much that you could feel a gentle squeeze even when she wasn't hugging you. Here eyes were bright with joy and love for her family...this I know for sure. I once asked her what her greatest joy was in her life and she replied "My greatest joy was when my babies were born, and then when my own children grew and had their babies."

She was loyal and true. My grandparents spent their lives loving eachother. 60 years married...what an incredible example for our family to follow. Times were not always easy, but my Grandmother was faithful. She loved my Grandfather and he loved her. It was obvious the way they looked at eachother. True soulmates...this I know for sure.

What I know for sure is that my grandmother was one of the greatest people I will ever know. Not every grandchild has the opportunity to have a relationship with their grandparents. I was blessed enough to have a grandmother who was my friend...my hero...my heart. I am who I am because I had her in my life.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

I'm so sorry Lena. I am so close with my Grandmother too and can't even fathom the day I will have to deal with her passing. I will say a prayer for you and your family right now.

Mrs.EBG said...

I understand the pain of having your Grandma pass,it's been a year and a half and not a day goes by where I don't think of mine. My prayers are with you and your family.