Saturday, June 23, 2012

In memory of our sweet Bailey Girl

Our sweet Bailey Girl passed away two weeks ago and the grief is still fresh in our hearts and minds.   I think that all dog owners (particularly owners of Labs) understand this grief, as they are the BEST dogs.  My dad commented that Bailey was such a great dog that she never actually realized she was a dog but considered herself human.  
I do believe that she was one of the best things in my life and I am thankful for her in so many ways.
She is part of the reason Rick and I met, she was there for our first kiss, our engagement, wedding, and our first eight and a half years of marriage.
What hurts my heart the most is watching my husband grieve...after all, she was HIS dog.  I know she would have considered him HER human.  She loved him more than anything in this world.


A friend sent me this passage out of a book after hearing about Bailey's passing.  I changed a few words around to make it more relevant to Bailey.  I do believe that this is what she would say if she could.



The Last Will & Testament of an Extraordinary Dog

In Loving Memory of: Bailey

I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than humans. They do not set great store upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain objects they have not.
There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love, which I leave to all those who have loved me, especially to my Dad and Mom, who I know will miss me the most.

I ask my Dad and Mom to remember me always, but not to grieve too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to them in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy in their happiness. It is painful for me to think that in death I should cause them pain.

Let them remember that while no dog has ever had a happier life (and this I owe to their love and care for me), now that I have grown ill, my pride has sunk low and I feel that life is taunting me with having overstayed my welcome. It can be humiliating and it is time I say good-bye, before I become too sick a burden on myself and on those who love me.

I will be sad to leave them, but not sad to die. Dogs do not fear death as humans do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What may come after death? I’m not sure.

But I do know that peace, at least, is certain. Peace and long rest for a weary old heart and head and limbs, and eternal sleep in the earth I have loved so well. I’d like to believe that each blissful hour is mealtime, and that I will never be without a plethora of tennis balls. I will feel my parents with me in spirit, and they too will feel that I am with them.

One last request I earnestly make. I have heard my Dad say, “When Bailey dies, I could never have another Lab. I love her so much that I might not be able to love another one”. Now I would ask of him, for his love me, to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory to never have a Lab again.
What I would like to feel is that having once had me in the family, now my parents cannot live without Labs! I have never had a jealous spirit and have always held that most Labs are good.

My successor can hardly be as well-bred or as well-mannered or as beautiful as I was in my prime. My parents must not ask the impossible. But the new dog will do his best, I am sure, and even his inevitable defects will help by comparison to keep my memory green.

To him I bequeath my collar and leash. He can never wear them with the distinction I did, but I’m sure he will try. He may prove himself to be quite worthy of comparison, in some respects. He will be able to run faster and swim farther than I have in recent years. I hereby wish him the happiness I know will be his in my old home.

Lastly, whenever you visit my resting place, say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts and the remembrance of my long, happy life with you, “Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved”.

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.




Rick and I would like to thank all of our friends and family for your support and prayers during this time.  Those of you who knew Bailey, know how special she was.
We will miss her greatly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said Lena. Mike and I love you and are here if you need us. You are great dog parents and any dog would be lucky to have you as their owner!!!
God Bless you both!!!
Mike and Brandi

TheHouse said...

Oh, Lena. I'm so sorry :(

Unknown said...

Lena I'm so sorry for your loss, it's so hard to lose a pet that's been there for so long =( Prayers for you!