Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Minestrone with Kale

Last week was a week full of wonderful, healthy recipes thanks to the produce that was delivered to our door. One of the vegetables delivered was kale...I sort of laughed when I pulled it out of the box thinking: "What the heck am I going to do with this?" So I went online, typed in the words: "Kale" and "recipe" and I found tons of wonderful looking meals. But this one was perfect for the cold weather we have been having. It is also very healthy (low in fat, high in fiber), and very tasty!!! When those two descriptions go together, it is a good thing! Here it is!

Ingredients: 2 tsp olive oil, 2 medium zucchini; 10 medium baby carrots; 1 medium onion(s); 2 cup(s) kale; 28 oz canned diced tomatoes, with basil, garlic and oregano, undrained; 4 cup(s) vegetable broth; 15 oz canned great Northern beans; drained and rinsed; 1 cup(s) cooked orzo; 1/4 tsp table salt; 1/4 tsp black pepper; 3/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano recommended

1. Chop up zucchini (leave skin on), carrots, and onion. I like to chop the zucchini and carrots in larger chunks. The onion can be chopped a little finer.

2. Heat Olive Oil in a large pot.


3. Add in zucchini, carrots, and onion. Saute over high heat until onion is translucent. This took me around 6 minutes.


4. Coarsely chop Kale.


5. Add kale to pot and saute until wilted; 3-5 minutes.

6. Add diced tomatoes, broth, and beans.

7. Simmer until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.


8. Stir in cooked orzo and salt and pepper.


9. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese!

No comments: