
It has been a while since I last wrote about books. The reason why? I have not been reading as much as I used to...even with my great intentions of accomplishing many book challenges this year. Currently, I drive at least an hour to and from work...yikes! Luckily, part of my book challenge is to listen to more audio books, so it makes the drive a little eaisier. These past two weeks I have been listening to: "Handle with Care" by Jodi Picoult. I just finished last friday.
WOW! What an emotional story! People driving next to me probably got to see some very strange faces from me! Anger, laughter, shock, sadness (yes, at one point I was crying like a baby). So sensitive, Lena....Geez!
Here is a quick summary, compliments of Publishers Weekly:
Perennial bestseller Picoult (Change of Heart) delivers another engrossing family drama, spiced with her trademark blend of medicine, law and love. Charlotte and Sean O'Keefe's daughter, Willow, was born with brittle bone disease, a condition that requires Charlotte to act as full-time caregiver and has strained their emotional and financial limits. Willow's teenaged half-sister, Amelia, suffers as well, overshadowed by Willow's needs and lost in her own adolescent turmoil. When Charlotte decides to sue for wrongful birth in order to obtain a settlement to ensure Willow's future, the already strained family begins to implode. Not only is the defendant Charlotte's longtime friend, but the case requires Charlotte and Sean to claim that had they known of Willow's condition, they would have terminated the pregnancy, a statement that strikes at the core of their faith and family. Picoult individualizes the alternating voices of the narrators more believably than she has previously, and weaves in subplots to underscore the themes of hope, regret, identity and family, leading up to her signature closing twists.
As I mentioned previously, this book was a very emotional, as most of Jodi Picoults books are. The story revolved around a very sensitive issue, however, the author wrote in such a fantastic way that I could easily take the perspective of each character in the book. I would highly recommend this book.
My favorite quote in Handle With Care:
WOW! What an emotional story! People driving next to me probably got to see some very strange faces from me! Anger, laughter, shock, sadness (yes, at one point I was crying like a baby). So sensitive, Lena....Geez!
Here is a quick summary, compliments of Publishers Weekly:
Perennial bestseller Picoult (Change of Heart) delivers another engrossing family drama, spiced with her trademark blend of medicine, law and love. Charlotte and Sean O'Keefe's daughter, Willow, was born with brittle bone disease, a condition that requires Charlotte to act as full-time caregiver and has strained their emotional and financial limits. Willow's teenaged half-sister, Amelia, suffers as well, overshadowed by Willow's needs and lost in her own adolescent turmoil. When Charlotte decides to sue for wrongful birth in order to obtain a settlement to ensure Willow's future, the already strained family begins to implode. Not only is the defendant Charlotte's longtime friend, but the case requires Charlotte and Sean to claim that had they known of Willow's condition, they would have terminated the pregnancy, a statement that strikes at the core of their faith and family. Picoult individualizes the alternating voices of the narrators more believably than she has previously, and weaves in subplots to underscore the themes of hope, regret, identity and family, leading up to her signature closing twists.
As I mentioned previously, this book was a very emotional, as most of Jodi Picoults books are. The story revolved around a very sensitive issue, however, the author wrote in such a fantastic way that I could easily take the perspective of each character in the book. I would highly recommend this book.
My favorite quote in Handle With Care:
Here are the things I know for sure:
When you think you're right, you are most likely wrong.
Things that break-be they bones, hearts, or promises-can be put back together but will never really be whole.
And, in spite of what I said, you can miss a person you've never known.
I learn this over and over again, every day I spend without you.
No comments:
Post a Comment