I have already mentioned that Rick and I took most of the recommended classes that our hospital offers. As a self proclaimed borderline control freak, I made it mandatory that we attend all of them...together. Thankfully, I am married to a pretty easy going, go with the flow guy and he was 100% supportive of going. We agree that the best class was the full day, labor and delivery prep class. It was there that we learned what labor might look like, what kind of things would be offered, what the husband should not say, how the husband can be supportive, what positions to get into to help with the contractions, etc. Even with all of this, I still was anxious about the pushing part...how exactly do you do it? And how do you know if you are doing it correctly? Thank God for the amazing midwife, Allison who was on duty. She gave me the best descriptions of how to prepare to breath and how to push...I was so encouraged after the first two pushes and they said I was doing it perfectly.
I will say now, that I remember EVERYTHING about labor, especially after the epidural was placed. I remember how excited Rick was, I remember my sweet nurse counting and pushing back my legs, I remember the group of doctors coming in to set up Will's cart...wow, that was a trip! This was for real now!!!
I will say it again and again. Rick was the BEST coach. He was so calm and assuring. He never once made the weird obnoxious jokes that I thought might maybe slip out of his mouth...:) Instead he was right there beside me, holding my hand, counting, and cheering me on after each push.
About an hour into pushing we got the call that our parents had arrived. I had planned on only having Rick and possibly my mom and sister in the delivery room. My midwife asked if it was ok that they all come in to say hello...I honestly laugh now, but I was so excited they were here I basically told them all to stay in the room. The picture below is a very funny memory. This was the first I saw of my family waiting behind the curtain so my midwife could cover me before walking in.
So, one by one they walked in...first, my mom, dad, then Lori, then my sister-in-law Bekah...it felt like the line never ended. :) Of course, my mom was already crying when she walked in. So there I was, on the bed, ready to deliver our first born, with a total of 7 (counting Rick) members of our family in the room. I would never have imagined that this would be the case, but at the time it just felt right...after all, they were our biggest prayer warriors and support during our journey to get pregnant...
After a very quick greeting, I resumed pushing...I think I was able to push 3 times (10 counts each) for each contraction. Near the end, I was tiring a little so there were times when it was only 2. Allison and Mary Jo were so calm...the setting was so quiet and peaceful. Even though, I was so nervous about what was coming next (how in the world was this baby really going to come out?) I just kept on focusing on their words and guidance.
Finally, Allison announced that the head was completely down and ready to come out...I think I pushed 4 or 5 times and his head was out and with one more push his little, pink body came out and was quickly brought to my chest. I can say that this was the greatest feeling in the world!!!!
He didn't come out with a big, hearty cry, which worried me a bit. But he was making noise and fussing...I remember saying "my baby, my baby."
This is around the time that I don't remember specific details...I remember feeling so elated, I remember my family surrounding us to get a good look. The pediatric nurse was next to me checking Will's heart rate and breathing. She commented that he was breathing a little quickly, but it wasn't a big concern.
I just remember staring at him and snuggling his sweet little body. I immediately looked at his hands and feet...Rick was emotional...his first son.
After all this time, almost 10 years of marriage, we were a family of three!!!
Sweet little baby Will...so alert!
After a while, our family went back to the waiting room so that I could attempt Will's first feeding. First, Will was weighed and measured. Then was wrapped up like a burrito and handed to Rick. He held him for a long time, just staring.
After our feeding session and a little time spent with our little family of three, everyone came back in to take more pictures of baby Will, hold him for a bit, and then left to get some sleep.
Pretty soon after everyone left, we were ready to go to our room. I sat in the wheel chair, holding little Will in my arms, with tears of thankfulness as a lullaby played over the speaker announcing that another baby, OUR baby, was born.
GOD IS SO GOOD!





















1 comment:
SO amazing! I can't believe you pushed for that long without tiring! I don't know how you do it. What a beautiful birth story and these pictures are too precious for words. How neat to have it all documented that way. Thanks for sharing your beautiful story. Will is so lucky to have such loving and amazing parents.
Post a Comment