As school begins, I am also beginning to prep our home environment as things get busier and it gets a little harder to clean up, prep meals, etc. I will be working back on my weekly menus. Ever since I have started this, we have saved so much money. I cannot tell you how many times we have come home with "low blood sugar, cranky butt syndrome" (Ree Drummond, Pioneer Woman) and we end up heading to a restaurant for because nothing was prepared for dinner. With the weekly menu, I attempt to shop for everything on Sunday, prep the veggies, and sometimes even pre-cook a few things to get things started.
My mornings are the worst. I really like the idea of eating breakfast, but I don't ever feel like I have time. I have to watch my sugar intake so I don't usually eat cereals, or granola bars. I prefer oatmeal or cooked eggs, but really, these things take time! Friday evening, I took sometime to prep these really good egg muffins. I don't have a recipe as I sort of threw things together, but you really can't mess them up.
I used the following ingredients: liquid eggs, cheese, sausage, mushroom, red onion, and butter (mmm, butter).
Here are the steps, and remember, nothing in this recipe is exact and can be easily modified with different meats or vegetables. First, I lined a 12 cup muffin pan (or two 6-cup pans in my case) with foil cups.
Heat up your skillet and cook your meat. I ended up cooking the whole package of sausage, however, I did not use all of it in the muffins. Instead, I placed them in baggies and froze them for a later time.
While the meat is cooking, roughly chop your veggies.
I used red onion and mushrooms because that is all I had in my fridge. :)
When the sausage (or other type of meat) is finished cooking, place it on the cutting board and give it a rough chop.
I only used six pieces of sausage for the twelve cups.
Put a pat of butter (maybe a tbsp?) on the skillet and saute the mushroom and onion together until soft.
Spray each cup with cooking spray (lightly) and fill half of the cup with meat and veggies. Sprinkle cheese (I like sharp cheddar).
Lastly, fill each cup with liquid egg mixture (I used the carton from the store, but fresh eggs would be even better) about 3/4 full.
Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes and this is what you get.
They shrink up pretty fast after they cool down. My friend Amber tasted them and said that maybe a bit of milk added to the eggs would lighten them up a bit. When they cooled, I placed two muffins each in a plastic bag and placed them in the freezer. I plan on taking one package out each evening before I go to bed to be ready for the next morning...heat and serve...that's what I like. :)
By no means am I an accomplished chef, but I LOVE making things that are easy to make AND easy to eat...
1 comment:
These look yummy and that's a great idea for mornings! I am so excited for you and Levi to see each other again soon! He can't wait!
Post a Comment